Tuesday, October 11, 2016

HER VOICES

"When I was thirteen, I had a voice from God to help me to govern myself. The first time, I was terrified. The voice came to me about noon: it was summer, and I was in my father’s garden….I saw it many times before I knew it was Saint Michael….He was not alone, but duly attended by heavenly angels….He told me Saint Catherine and Saint Marg aret would come to me, and I must follow their counsel; that they were appointed to guide and counsel me in what I had to do, and that I must believe what they would tell me, for it was at our Lord’s command." In Her Own Words, p. 5-6

Saint Joan continually professed counsel and protection from three voices guiding her in the mission to free her country from occupation: Saint Michael the Archangel, Saint Catherine of Alexandria and Saint Margaret, sometimes called Marina. Although not often mentioned, Joan also reported being visited by Saint Gabriel.

Archangel Michael was the first to appear to young Joan when she was in her thirteenth year. He told Joan that Saint Catherine and Saint Margaret would soon follow. She was to obey their instruction. Whereas Archangel Michael was brilliant and bold, her descriptions of Saint Catherine and Saint Margaret were of gentle comforters.

When Joan turned seventeen, the guidance from her voices changed. Saint Michael visited more often, outlining a plan which involved the young girl liberating her country. Joan's response showed her attempt to make sense of what she was being told to do: "And I answered the Voice that I was a poor girl who knew nothing of riding and warfare." In Her Own Words, p. 7

Saint Michael, Saint Catherine and Saint Margaret had won her devotion and her confidence. It was in them she put her complete faith, moving always in the direction they led. Her guardians not only provided counsel, but forewarned of mishaps, personal injury and eventually her own capture and death.

Archangel Michael

Patron of soldiers and law enforcement
Feast Day: May 8 and September 29

Saint Michael was the patron saint of the royal house of France during Joan's life, so it makes sense that she naturally held an affinity for him. He commanded her to go to the aid of France and eventually appeared to her as a war counselor. Saint Michael is typically depicted in armor with wings outstretched and sword or lance drawn, ready to pierce the serpent being restrained under foot. In many medieval paintings, he bears a shield with a red cross that represents "truth". 
Above all, Saint Michael told me that I must be a good child, and that God would help me. He taught me to behave rightly and go often to church.... He told me the pitiful state of the Kingdom of France. And he told me that I must go to succor the King of France." In Her Own Words, p. 6."

Saint Catherine of Alexandria

Patroness of philosophers and teachers
Feast Day: November 25

"Saint Catherine and Saint Margaret had rich crowns on their heads. They spoke well and fairly, and their voices are beautiful--sweet and soft. The name by which they often named me was Jehanne the Maid, Child of God. They told me that my King would be restored to his Kingdom, despite his enemies. They promised to lead me to Paradise." In Her Own Words, p. 7

Saint Catherine, along with Saint Margaret, was sent to guide Joan of arc on her mission, giving her constant counsel, guidance and protection. Saint Catherine was a virgin martyr born of a noble family in Alexandria. 

Saint Margaret

Patroness of pregnant women
Feast Day: July 20

Margaret is sometimes called Marina. She is believed to have been the daughter of a pagan priest, converting against family wishes to Christianity. Saint Margaret was a shepherdess who attracted the interest of a local prefect. Saint Margaret is often depicted standing over the dragon, sent by Satan to tempt her. She was beheaded.
Joan of Arc shared a similar fate with the guardians who offered their counsel, especially Saint Catherine and Saint Margaret.

It is impossible to understand Joan of Arc's motivation and steadfast moral values without first understanding the voices which she attributes every good thing she accomplished. Her deep love, faith and reverence for her helpers were best apparent in her actions. Attempting to express the Voices' profound influence on her life:

"There is no day that I do not hear the voice. And indeed I need it. I have never asked it for any other reward than, in the end, the salvation of my soul."

"I saw them with the eyes of my body as well as I see you. And when they left me, I wept, and I wished that they might have taken me with them. And I kissed the ground where they stood, to do them reverence." In Her Own Words, p. 94, 6

"Whatever I have done that was good, I have done at the bidding of my voices."In Her Own Words, p. 113

"I have never had need of them and not had them come." In Her Own Words, p. 112

"I shall call them to help me as long as I live." In Her Own Words, p. 126

No comments:

Post a Comment